Friday, June 26, 2009

Stage Mother


I am a bit saddened by MJ's death. Even if Moms would normally detest him for child abuse (court pleaded not guilty), I am sure everyone has at one point danced to Beat it, Thriller and Billy Jean. He is an icon in the music industry and pop culture and is irreplacable, something like Elvis Presley. Gosh, I dread the day Madonna passes away (knock on wood)! I don't think any singer/artist has had much impact as these two pop stars in the last 20 years. Hmm... maybe I should start training my daughter, who knows she could be the next pop sensation. Not!

I have a friend in Beijing who is a movie producer and has a very talented young boy. He is half-American, half-Korean and loves singing and dancing. His favorite performance: Beijing Opera! At 5, he is now being trained under Michael Jackson's mentor, has his own CD, TV show and movie coming up. Reminds me of Nino Muhlach, except that he can sing in both English and Cantonese.

I'm not sure I like that for my daughter. Sure, I want her to be successful and accomplished. Would encourage her to be ambitious and driven but not to the point where her life becomes public (that means mine is too) and she has to succumb to what others want. Now, I understand why Sharon Cuneta was hesitant about her daughter being exposed to this kind of life. I would go ballistic if I found out about a sex video that my daughter has been part of! God forbid!

I wonder what my daughter would want to be when she grows up. I remember that I wanted to be an astronaut, a lawyer, an actress (blame it on my showbiz genes) at some point. It's really hard to tell what she would be (especially at 14 months) although personality wise, she is very confident, has great people skills and strong-minded. Hmm.. don't tell me she will be a politician later in life. It's the same banana! I have no plans in raising a lil Palin at home.

But as my hubby would always say, it's up to her! Of course it's up to her, she can do whatever she wants (just not be a nun or a prostitute). But, like all mothers, I just wish my child the best in life! I'm sure that's what Michael Jackson's mother wanted for him too. RIP MJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment