Friday, June 12, 2009

Back to Basics


Yesterday was a nightmare! It was pouring rain and it was my daughter's trial class with Kindermusik. I've been looking forward to bringing her to this playgroup since she has always expressed interest in music and dancing. I have also been scouting around for the best playgroup for her, especially after my friend told me that when applying for pre-school, part of the selection criteria would be what playgroup the child has attended. Gosh, I feel like I have to prepare my daughter's CV! Can you believe I also have to submit photos of her playing too? What the hell?!?

Anyway, going back to yesterday. We were rushing to make it on time and finding the backstage of the Grand Theatre in Tsimshatsui was not easy. Of course, I forgot to print the map so I had to ask guards who could not speak English. Great! We finally got to the studio after 15 minutes of walking around. Good thing we managed to get there on time.

At first, I was disappointed with how the studio looked, it was just a playmat with some toys and props around. I was expecting a school environment like most playgroups. This is because the teacher rents the studio and teaches an independent class. When the class started and I saw my daughter enjoy the activities, I thought, maybe the environment is not such a big deal. I didn't get to finish the class though cause I had to rush to my photoshoot in Kwun Tong. There goes another juggling act for me.

As usual, the exercises are more tiring for the parents than for the kids (this was the same at Gymboree). I had to carry my baby up and down, side to side and alas, now I my back is so painful I cannot move. It has already been strained from carrying this heavy Macbook around for client presentations. Plus, it doesn't help that my baby is getting heavier by the day. Oh well, that means I have to work from home since it takes me 5 minutes just to get up from bed. How old am I again?!? I feel like a grandma already.

Just when I was already set on bringing baby to a regular school, I heard from the news that all pre-schools in Hong Kong are closed for 2 weeks because of H1N1. I hear the woes of my Mom friends in Facebook who have to deal with their children stuck at home for 2 weeks straight. I can't believe that it's are no longer safe for kids to go to school. Since when did kindergarten become fatal? Welcome to the 21st century (no wonder why some Moms feel the need to pop a Valium and drink some chardonnay)!

Now, mothers have to choose between learning in school or putting their kids at risk of contracting this piggy disease. I guess that means that educational books and CDs are going to be out of stock soon... (I have to get some for my daughter as she is getting bored of the usual CBeebies TV show). Moms and nannies will have to learn to be home educators. Does that mean my nanny has to have a degree in Education? Tough world we live in!

The circumstances we're in are teaching us to go back to basics. No more budget for a Bottega Venetta bag... home learning vs. international pre-schools... eating at home rather than Shangri-la's buffet... traveling means going to Shek O instead of Bali or Maldives. At this point, I cannot complain, as long as my daughter is healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment