Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pet Love


I never used to like pets. We had a couple of dogs when I was young. One was a japanese spitz called Alf, a german shepherd named Informer (after that hit song in the 90s!) and a poodle named Lacey. I did have some fondness towards them but was scared of dogs so I just loved them from a distance. But, I have to admit I was upset when Alf was run over by a school bus one afternoon (the driver had to choose between the kids getting hurt or the dog and chose the latter). I got over it pretty quickly though.

Was the same thing with our lovebirds. I remember playing with them back in our home in Merville then. My brother was pointing his toy machine gun at the birds and it scared the hell out of the one that it squished it's body in between the bars of the cage and escaped! And you know what they say about love birds, they cannot live alone, and so when the other one left, the remaining one passed away. Goodbye birdies! I have another horrible story about me throwing our cage of love birds down the balcony when I was drunk (let's not go there...), I was devastated for about 10 minutes.

So I guess you get my point about pets. I'm not very good with them. That's why I was scared about having children... I never thought I had the ability to take care of something or someone. I guess having a baby is a completely different story.

The reason why I am talking about pets now is cause of my new addiction... PET SOCIETY, the game on Facebook! Reminds me of the ol Tamagochi where you have to feed, brush and dress up your pet. What I love about this game is I can go shopping for clothes for my pet, decorate it's house with furniture, and visit friends for a hug or dance and earn points. It's really cute!

My hubby thinks otherwise, he can't stand that I'd rather go on the computer and hug a pet when I can just hug him in bed. I hear my daughter complaining in the morning too. Now, she knows how to press the off button on my computer now so I can play with her instead. Smart girl!

I wonder how long I'll be interested in taking care of my pet, Kooka. I remember the campaign on pets by the Hong Kong government asking people to not eat their dogs (eww) or to continue looking after pets, even when they are tired of them. Good thing my Kooka is only a virtual pet, she will survive even if I don't play with her for a week... or forever if I lose interest (which can happen very quickly). I don't have to risk being reported to PETA or whatever organization out there for going against animal rights. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment