Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tie a Yellow Ribbon


Living in Hong Kong makes me detached from what's going on in the Philippines. If not for the internet (I am not subscribed to any Filipino Channel), I wouldn't be updated with what's happening about Manila. The latest news that caught my eye (or should I say made me cry) was the passing away of former President "Cory" Aquino, who symbolized democracy for the country and strength for the Filipino woman.

For me, it was all sudden as I didn't read the news on a regular basis. In fact, I learned about her death via Twitter and international news. I didn't know she already had cancer and her life was already at stake. I still have a clear picture of her looking healthy and bright in yellow, posing with the "laban" sign. Signs that I am getting old, that was way back in the 80s! I remember bumping into her at the Manila Hotel during World Youth Day and I called out, "Cory!" as if she were an old friend (yes, I was a bit mental when I was young, still am now actually).

There was much talk about Kris Aquino's (Cory's famed daughter) last words about her mother. It was a real tearjerker! What touched me about it was her relationship with her mother. I can go on and on about a mother's love for her child but what I don't realize that this is reciprocated by the child tenfold.

I am starting to feel that as my daughter already knows how to hug and does it quite often now. She wakes up at night sometimes just to sleep beside me. Even if that means waking up at 3am and having interrupted sleep, I am quite happy for her just to be near her, especially since I am away from her most of the time.

I feel so blessed that I have a daughter and look forward to having a best friend in her one day. I am not sure how I will handle her stories about cutting class or dating two boys at a time but I am sure we'll have great times together. And like how Cory was to her daughter, I will be with her both in good times and in bad...

Just crossing my fingers she wouldn't end up anything like Kris! Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment